Hay fever can promote depression
Allergic reactionRead out
Hay fever in itself is no fun. As soon as the weather gets nice, the eyes are burning, the nose is tight, the throat is scratching. If it hits you really bad, it will not only respond to individual grasses or pollen, but throughout the summer. With bad luck, hay fever mutates into asthma attacks or spreads with skin changes. No wonder that researchers have now discovered that hay fever can in itself promote depression. Why not? After all, badly-afflicted people are sitting at home, while the rest of humanity enjoys the summer. This article deals with the topic in more detail.
What is the connection?
The new study comes from Taiwan and clearly shows that hay fever sufferers are more likely to suffer from mental illness. This has several reasons:
- Emotional stress - it is high for young people. Adolescents are more likely to suffer from anxiety disorders or depression, even though they have hay fever.
- Aggression - the subjects also appeared more aggressive and impulsive, which in turn can be attributed to hay fever. Especially in puberty, hay fever intensifies the feeling of insecurity - which manifests itself in aggression and impulsive behavior.
- Sleep disturbances - everyone knows that. Once you've got the right cold, you know that you can not sleep with your nose and cough stuffy. But now also the eyes are affected, because they burn and tear. All of this disturbs sleep. And since lack of sleep means stress and sleep deprivation can benefit depressive phases anyway, it's no wonder that sufferers are more depressed.
- Adults - that's not different in adulthood, by the way. It can be even more severe, as bipolar disorder, better known as "manic-depressive", is more common in people with hay fever. The same applies to schizophrenia.
Of course, it can of course be said that depressive moods are the result of the concomitant symptoms of hay fever. If teenagers can not get to the lake with their friends, they feel left out. If adults can not attend barbecues, they too are out. Coupled with the generally burdened feeling, the sleep problems and the very possible vitamin D deficiency due to the limited solar radiation, because sufferers in the house must include, a depressive mood is absolutely probable. However, it does not have to happen.
What can affected people do?
Sometimes allergies can be so easy. After all, animal hair can be well avoided, even foods can be well excluded from the diet. The situation is different with pollen, especially for those who are not only allergic to this type of grass or tree. Those who count themselves among these lucky ones often do not even have to suffer long, because the pollen season ends when it's just begun. In all other cases, however, the following applies:
- Protecting the home This is especially important for rest and sleep. Now there are several options. It is good if no pollens get into the house. Sometimes it is enough to hang damp linen towels in front of the windows and to make sure that no gaps form. Even a linen cloth in front of a fly screen can help.
- Air Purifiers Air Purifiers are great for filtering stagnant particles from the air you breathe. The modern HEPA filters keep pollen reliably, other air filters can have this effect. Modern home ventilation systems already use the filter types. It is important that the filter is cleaned regularly. His performance is often indicated by the so-called CADR. Interested parties will learn more about CADR value and importance here. Incidentally, also regularly renew the filter systems in the car, as HEPA filters are also in use here.
- Søubern just pollen love to deposit with the dust in the apartment. During the pollen season should therefore be more often sucked and also dust-wiped. It is helpful to wipe damp dust, because now the pollen is not whirled into the air.
It usually only helps to help oneself with medicines and aids. display
What medical treatment is there?
Affected persons can be sensitized to many allergies. However, this must be done early enough so that peace prevails next summer. Whether the health insurance company will take the treatment depends on the severity of the allergy and the health insurance. Often, the hay fever must already be very strong, so that the health insurance at least bear a portion of the costs. Otherwise applies:
- Medication There are several antihistamines that can be taken from hay fever. They prevent allergies or dehumidify them. Those affected, however, have to see if and what means they can tolerate. For example, a number of medications have an increased toxicity to the side effect, which in turn reduces the quality of the day.
- Nasal drops / nasal sprays they too can provide temporary relief. It makes more sense to resort directly to nasal sprays of sea salt, as these have no signifying effect. The purpose is simply that the mucous membranes swell, are moistened and do not dry out.
- Cortisone - also drugs with cortisone are used, usually when the respiratory tracts swell massively. The remedy helps with inflammation, but usually needs to be taken over a longer period of time. Depending on the person and vulnerability, the side effects are strong.
In the meantime, for normal hyposensitization, in which an allergen is always administered in larger doses over a longer period of time, so-called "pollen inoculations" are also available. It is an oral dose that the person concerned carries out himself by letting one tablet soften under the tongue on a daily basis. Even in the form of drops this remedy is available.
Basically, sufferers should be well advised by the family doctor and allergenologists. A personal treatment has to be found, because with allergies: What helps one, that can harm the next.If hay fever hits the bullseye, good advice is expensive. /> Unsplash.com, Brittany Colette
Conclusion - better attack the cause
Those who feel depressed with hay fever should never resort to antidepressants immediately. The means are not without, moreover, at the cause nothing is changed. It is better to talk to the doctor and to consider how to deal with the hay fever in the next year. Whether this is done by desensitization, with drugs or new filters in the house, depends on the individual case.